It seems the age of free marketing using the organic reach of social platforms are over. In this post I will share three things you need to know about the change from organic reach to a world of pay to play.
How do we know we are moving to a pay to play world?
- Facebook and other social media sites are intentionally restricting how many of your followers will see your posts.
- Today’s brands are only reaching 6% of their fans with organic social media.
- In 2017 there was a 60% increase social media ad spend.
So what should a marketer do?
- Know who you want to reach, and figure out their interests and passions.
- Give it to them for free, (in the form of education, tips and tricks, techniques, lists, blog posts, and videos).
- Put paid promotion behind it, and use the tracking data to measure your ROI. Then adjust.
Is there anything else a marketer should consider?
- Facebook is promoting Groups and saying that they won’t be targeted by the same Algorithm. Check out Instapot and Peleton for examples of effective marketing using Facebook Groups.
- Make sure the ads you pay for are effective – the most highly rated ads are entertaining, followed by discounts and teach-me.
- Check out the Stories element of Facebook and Instagram.
Jackson, D. (2018, February 19). How to Maximize Your Social Media Budget in a Pay to Play World. Retrieved from https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-budget/.
McMenemy, L. (October 18, 2019). How to Stand Out in the Pay-To-Play World of Social Media Algorithms in 2019. Retrieved from https://www.skyword.com/contentstandard/marketing/social-media/social-media-algorithms-in-2019-mean-paying-to-play-heres-how-brands-can-still-stand-out/.
Sellas, B. B. (2018, April 17). Social Media Advertising. Retrieved from https://bsquared.media/social-media-ads-spark-action/.
York, A. (2019, May 16). 7-Step Social Media Advertising Strategy to Better Performing Ads. Retrieved from https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-advertising-strategy/.
Why Social Media is ‘Pay to Play’ in 2018 (And How to Get the Best Bang for Your Buck). (2019, February 15). Retrieved from https://neilpatel.com/blog/pay-to-play-social-media/.